Twelve years later in 1985, with the duties of parish office behind her, she founded The Headley Society with the motto: ‘Respects the Past, Cares about the Present, and Looks to the Future. Since then, the Society has been active in all these spheres, and is today a forum for discussion and action in the locality.
One question which we have been considering for some time is how best to make available to a wider audience the interesting and valuable historical information which exists within the parish. Some of this information is in people’s heads, some in their houses, some already published but now unavailable or forgotten, some yet to be discovered. Much of it, when received, is of significant interest-but often there is too small a quantity of material relating to any particular topic to warrant publication by itself. To address this problem, we have decided to bring out these collections of Headley Miscellany, each issue of which will contain a number of items of historical value.
If you have any suggestions as to topics which may be covered in future editions, please let us know. In 1923, at the age of 62, Dr Elizabeth Wilks and her husband, Mark, moved to Headley from London and set up home in Openlands, Furze Vale Road, Headley Down and became involved in Headley life. Mark Wilks was a teacher and Dr Elizabeth Wilks a past suffragette and campaigner for human rights. Although always dressed in black and rather formidable, she cared deeply for her fellow human beings. When in 1932 a sewerage scheme for the district, with outfall near Huntingford Bridge, was suggested the Headley Rural Preservation Society, together with the rest of the Parish opposed the scheme.